This v1.61 patch for Civilization IV includes number of game technology changes, gameplay improvements, multiplayer gamespeed fixes and plenty of other additions, fixes and changes.
Last updated 16 - March 2006
- randomized processing order when multiple players try to move on the same
- only the host can set the admin password...
- Horseback Riding now a classical tech...
- Kremlin now gives -33% hurry production cost...
- can't airlift from foreign cities...
- expanded subject for PitBoss e-mail...
- lightened the color of some civs' text...
- mp retire fix...
- less hammers from chops the farther away from a city...
- reduced hammer yield from forest chops to 20
- Mathematics increases forest chop yields by +50%...
- SDI cannot be built before the Manhattan Project...
- increased SDI cost...
- marines and SAM Infantry now upgrade to Mech Infantry...
- better AI-to-human diplo in team games...
- no more diplo penalty for helping to end wars...
- city production popups stay on city when entering/exiting...
- can now set units to Sleep and Intercept in wbs...
- Continents map script now produces large continents
- game options and victory conditions now saved in ini file...
- invalid buildings now removed from city queues...
- Free Trade: Medium Upkeep
- State Property: Low Upkeep
- Representation: +2 happy in X biggest cities
- Hereditary Rule: Low Upkeep
- Representation: Medium Upkeep
- Slaver: Low Upkeep
- Nationhood: No Upkeep
- firepower is now average of curr and max strength...
- Gunships now move faster over rails...
- No Cheating option renamed to Lock Modified Assets...
- city management no longer uses "forced" specialist states when not
- Expansive: +3 Health
- Financial: No longer give production bonus for Banks
- Prompt for admin password when loading a game containing one in LAN,
Internet, or Pitboss play
- Don't allow players to play non-playable civs in Pitboss
- Do not display SP only mods in Pitboss
- Allow hotseat/PBEM scenario host to select which civ s/he will play
- Force non-playable civs to be AI in Hotseat/PBEM games
- Allowing for AI slots in player defined scenarios for Hot Seat, PBEM, and
- Do not display duplicate buddy request popups from the same guy
- Peer address handling improvements
- Number keys perform leaderhead actions on Civilopedia leader screen.
- Custom game SP screen remembers difficulty level last played
- Reduced rounding error for population and land victory condition test
- Loading a multiplayer game as a PBEM/hotseat converts it to non-simultaneous
- When the city names of your civ are all taken, choose a default name from a
- Timelines more uniform across game speeds
- Military Advisor shows Barbarians
- Tech chooser screen now observes CvGameInterface.cannotResearch() and shows
the tech in a red pane if the function returns true
- Fixed American Revolution scenario to work with Pitboss
- PBEM password reminder popup no longer disappears when the game starts
- Wonder description on Wonder Movie screen more legible
- Top Civs screen no longer appears in online multiplayer
- Civilopedia main page sorted in columns rather than in rows
- Pressing escape when selecting goto points now cancels the goto waypoints
- Military advisor now works like foreign advisor: clicking on leader buttons
clears previous leader selections unless you hold down the shift key.
- Teams in multiplayer once again share all the players' starting techs, not
just the last player's
- Great person point generation from Wonders continues after Wonder has become
- quicksave doesn't prompt for overwrite
- exploit fix that allowed multiple players to extract the same gold/resources
from the AI...
- Don't set localhost address as public addr for peers on same computer
- fixed gunships capturing cities bug...
- game doesn't end on ties...
- fixed mp UN voting bug...
- Leaderheads on a radeon 9000 64mb - fix for strange skin shading.
- Fixed crash that happened when a spy sabotaged an improvement outside
- The full mod path is no longer stored in the save when the mod is installed
under the user folder.
- Double-clicking on a save of a mod now loads the proper DLL.
- fixed Out-of-Sync from exiting to main menu...
- fixed anarchy/specialist resetting bug...
- fixed bug where environmentalism doesn't affect new cities...
- fix for missing head mission crash...
- fixed stack attack bug with groups of units with more than one move...
- fixed premature end-turn unit cycle bug...
- fixed State Porperty cumulative effect in team game...
- fixed plot list button scrolling for multiple resolutions...
- fixed some AI attitude issues for team games...
- Strip chat messages of color tags before displaying in Pitboss
- Fixed logic bug that determines the number of open slots in a Pitboss game
- Improving how the host determines if the game is full - number of connections
rather than number of players - before, the host wasn't considering joining
players when determining if the game was full
- Set status to CLOSED when a computer player dies in the game
- The full mod path is no longer stored in the save when the mod is installed
under the user folder.
- Load proper DLL when a mod is specified in the ini file
- fix for tech chooser showing known techs as unknown
- Clear map data (like latitudes) when you exit to main menu
- Fixed error in combat calculations when a zero-strength unit was involved.
- Fixed bug in Info screen "rival worst" calculation
- End of game sequence plays correctly for hotseat/pbem
- Diplomacy screen no longer allows end-turn events to go through
- Diplomacy screen gold popups respond to ESCAPE and RETURN
- Right-click select-all no longer causes large stacks to slide off the screen
- No longer possible to attempt to take over unplayable civs in multiplayer
- Fixed PBEM infinite movement exploit
- Fixed rush production per population for game speeds other than normal
- GNP graph is now consistent with demographics table
- Fix Gunship being almost invisibile in Frozen mode
- fix mod name in progress bar
- New DX9 code takes screenshot without requiring lockable back buffer
- Fixed the vertically launching torpedo for the submarine unit
- Movie playback optimized
- Significant reduction in video and system memory usage
- Fixed some memory leaks
- Fixed crashes with modified SDK
- Fixed XML failures with non-default locale
- Many translation fixes
- Memory related crash fixes
- Fixed diplomacy crash fix (when expanding an empty tree control with space
- Internet lobby -> LAN fix
- fixed pedia and menu buttons disappearing after leaving tech chooser
- PitBoss no longer crashes on victory
- can no longer see number of units in darkened tiles by moving the flag
- No more Archers holding all their weapons and Workers holding all their
- No more fog of war missing from the southern ice and from trees/jungle on the
- Pushing "go back" while joining a mp game, no longer causes background music
- Wonder movie effect and zoom no longer happens when you have disabled Wonder
- City billboards no longer choke on text formatting
- Many tutorial issues fixed
- Fixed checksum folder order difference between NTFS and FAT32 filesystems
- Many worldbuilder issues fixed
- Fix: Black eye shadows
- Fix: Some leaderheads appear to have white eyes when the low-res textures
option is on
- fixing crack in huge globe view maps
- fixes the problem where animals were not animating in the fog
- Prevent Terrain crash when reloading EarthMap twice
- fixed crash on too quick quickload
- fixed city yields being revealed in FOW
- fixed ability to see cities in FOW via defense modifiers
- ICBM no longer flips upside-down when fortified/awaken
- Fix for combat bug across a map seam
- PitBossSleep ini setting...
- unit cycling optimization...
- Africa, Europe, East Asia, Eastern U.S., and South America maps
- Fantasy_Realm, Fractal, and Shuffle map scripts
- unit health bar for plot list buttons...
- Require Complete Kills game option
- No Movies is now a graphical option (instead of an ini option)...
- Warn all users when a player with a different version of files joins the
- Display a popup warning the host when a joining player has different versions
of XML/Python files so he can make sure this guy can be trusted
- Indicate which players have an active turn in the Pitboss admin screen
- Synch Logging now an .ini option
- Able to load mods from the Pitboss
- Hotseat and PBEM scenarios
- Display name of peer you are contacting in join screen if available
- Saving DirectIP join address
- Added culture rate popup help to culture bar in city screen
- Added Admin password field in PBEM/Hotseat staging screens
- Added HideMovieBackground ini option for further movie speedup
- Added HideOutOfVRamWarning ini option
- Exposed many more functions to Python
- Hooked up modern whaling boats
- support for movies in customAssets folder
If you are encountering problems when connecting to multiplayer games over the
internet, chances are strong that you are not the cause of the problem. It is
likely that players running firewall software that rejects incoming connection
attempts may have already joined the game. Since these players do not have
their firewall configured correctly, their computers are rejecting your attempt
to connect. Therefore, it is vital that all players who wish to play multiplayer
games ensure that their firewall is set up to allow Civilization IV to construct
the necessary peer-to-peer network.
If you are running firewall software, please verify that Sid Meiers
Civilization 4 is listed on the "Exception List" of your firewall, and that
incoming messages will be accepted for this process. If your firewall software
does not offer an exception list, please open port 2056 for UDP traffic on your
firewall. This will allow the required traffic through.
Although Civilization IV contains logic to negotiate around many firewalls and
NAT devices (routers), it can run into trouble under certain circumstances. The
solution Civilization IV employs works with a vast majority of routers, but does
not work with all brands. Very old models may have more problems than newer
ones. Additionally, Civilization IV will have problems negotiating through 2
levels of network address translation (ie. a router behind a router). Also,
negotiation may fail if you or an existing peer is running the game on a very
large and busy LAN.