||Feb 23, 2007
This v1.3.1 patch for Windows version of Doom 3 fixes a crash bug and other minor bugs, and improves Vista compatibility.
Doom 3(TM) 1.3 Update README
Last updated 4-13-2005
Please note that in-game console commands are not supported by Activision(R).
This update for Doom 3 addresses issues found in multiplayer and single player
since release. A complete list of what we have fixed and added is below. For
future releases and more information about the game, please visit our web site:
For additional technical help with Doom 3, please see the Help system that came
with the game, or visit our web site: http://www.doom3.com
A few notes about Vista:
We've tested Doom 3 and Quake 4 to run fine on Windows Vista, provided you have
an OpenGL ICD installed (provided by your GPU vendor). Both NVidia and AMD/ATI
have released an OpenGL ICD in their latest driver line.
If no OpenGL ICD is present, the default OpenGL driver is a wrapper to D3D
provided by Microsoft, which lacks the necessary features to run id games with
their full performance and graphical impact.
The install CDs (and DVDs) for Doom 3 and Quake 4 will install the game fine
under Vista. The Quake 4 installer may require you to install Flash Player
first, and Vista may pop occasional warning windows but in the end you will get
a working installation.
NOTES FOR MOD USERS:
- It is recommended that any user modifications that have been installed to the
Doom3 directory be removed before installing this update. These modifications
are not supported by Activision and may not be compatible with some of the new
features that are included.
NOTE FOR SINGLE PLAYER SAVED GAMES:
- Using this update will reset your progress in whatever map you are currently
saved in. When loading a saved game, the player starts at the begining of that
map with their inventory intact.
- Using this update will reset the Nightmare skill setting. If you are playing
in Nightmare mode before applying the 1.3 update, you will need to re-enable it
in the console (g_nightmare 1). After enabling it in the console, the game must
be relaunched in order for nightmare mode to show up as a selectable option.
NOTE FOR WIN32 DEDICATED SERVER EXECUTABLE
- Also included in the 1.3 update is a Win32 dedicated server executable. This
allows servers to be run under Win32 without a CD Check. You can launch this
with command line options or configure it through the console once launched.
Just launch "Doom3Ded.exe".
Fixes & Updates in 1.3.1:
- Tested and improved Vista compatibility
- Fix a potential crash in physics
- Fix an issue with pak downloaded being immediately appended without
- Fixes to DNS lookup, reduced the stalls
- Updated the code to gcc 4.0 compliance, for Mac OSX universal binaries and
GNU/Linux x86 binaries
- Threading implementation for Mac and Linux is more compliant with the Win32
- Fix Alsa sound backend (Linux)
- Fixes to tty code (Linux)
Fixes for modding/SDK:
- Fix RevBitFieldSwap issue (affected only big endian platforms)
- Fix ReadBindFromSnapshot
- Verbose overflow check in idBitMsg::WriteBits and apply related fixes
- Fix a GetFileList issue
- Expose key states and button states to the game
- Pass lastPredictFrame to the game (client prediction)
- Pass HandleMainMenuCommands to the game
- Pass the GUID to the game (in ClientConnect call)
- Allow game to override gui load menu
Fixes & Updates in 1.3:
- PunkBuster(TM) support has been added.
- EAX(R) ADVANCED HD(TM) support in the sound engine contributed by Creative
Labs(R). Doom 3 base game comes with room reverb data.
- To utilize EAX(R) ADVANCED HD(TM) in Doom 3, you must have 100% EAX 4.0
compatible sound card. Please refer to your sound card manufacturer for details
on whether or not your sound card supports EAX 4.0.
- Sound Blaster(R) Audigy(R) 2 users who wish to utilize the new EAX 4.0
feature in Doom 3 should download the latest Creative Beta Drivers for the card
released on April 5th, 2005. Not using these drivers may result in game
instability while using EAX 4.0.
- Server provides .pk4 file download URLs (http/ftp), client has internal
- New class of .pk4 files: 'addon paks' are only referenced when the map is
- .pk4 downloads and addon paks come with a number of fixes to the 'pure server
mode' filesystem code.
- Fixed ragdoll bounciness.
- Fixed how Doom 3 detects LAN client vs. Internet clients.
- LZW compression of render demos.
- Fixed command line parameter passing.
- Added a QuakeIII-style graph of the connection quality for network clients
defaults off, enable with net_clientLagOMeter 1
displays a graph of how much the client predicts ahead of the server
note that you can change the minimum predict ahead of a client by setting
Changes relevant to mod developers (SDK):
- Added UploadImage to idRenderSystem interface. This lets the user blit images
to the renderer.
- Supports fs_game_base; this lets you base a mod off base game + d3xp + your
- Most of the download redirection is handled in the game code, and can be
- ALSA device opened non-blocking to avoid hangs.
Fixes & Updates in 1.2:
- Engine changes to support DOOM 3(TM): Resurrection of Evil(TM) features (
time groups is the main difference )
- Mod support fixes ( also for DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil support )
- Online cd key check during startup ( with DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil key
support if DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil is installed, whatever the current mod
- Fix net_clientServerTimeout when server crashes / disappears
- Cut down on projectile net traffic ( both base/ and DOOM 3: Resurrection of
Evil/ code )
- Lots of compatible internal savegame code changes from OS X(TM) and Linux(TM)
in order to do things in a portable way
- Networking fixes to hitscan projectiles
- Fix a bug in the usercmd transmission
- Fix client drops when server in pure mode changes maps too fast for clients
- Reworked the synchronization of firing animations over the network
Fixes & Updates in 1.1:
- Querying a cvar (typing name with no value on the console) now also prints
out help text
- Updated some cvar docs
- Fixed desktop crash when loading a QuickSave made when during influence in
EPD Lab in Alphalabs 1
- Fixed game freezing if in-game MP menu is opened just after a change map
Passes and just before the map changes.
- Fixed duplicate player names shutting down a server during map changes
- Fixed scrolling lists with arrow keys while holding control crashing game
- Added toggle functionality to movement commands (i.e. toggle crouch as
opposed to holding the button down)
- Added in_togglecrouch, in_togglerun, & in_togglezoom
- Added dialog to multiplayer video settings menu telling user that changes
require exiting game before they'll take effect
- Fixed remote password field only displaying 3-4 characters at a time.
- Fixed g_voteFlags so that spectator and nextmap could be individually
- Made print screen bindable.
- Made Alt-Gr (right alt) bindable separately for European versions. For
versions, right alt and left alt both bind as "alt" so that US users who
have something bound to right alt don't have their config affected by the
- Added mouse wheel scrolling to server list (GUI list boxes).
- Fixed issue when switching between flashlight and previous weapon after using
- Bumped damage up on rocket jumping in multiplayer
- Decreased damage from chaingun to 25 in multiplayer
- Exploding barrels to full damage to attacker in multiplayer
- Increased height for falling damage in multiplayer
- Made g_fov modifiable in mutiplayer from 90 to 110
- Changed server protocol version from 1.33 to 1.34
- Changed idEntity::SetName to allow entities to be named after startup during
- Changed idClass::PostEventArgs to allow script threads to post events during
- Changed net_allowCheats to allow cheat commands during network games
- Fixed projectile launched from wrong position when player exits teleporter
while holding fire
- Fixed rocket launcher dealing no splash damage to player at certain angle in
- Fixed light from flashlight remaining after player is killed.
- Fixed frags going negative when over 64. Maxfrags now at 100.
- Fixed -1/1 ammo count while dropping weapon in multiplayer
- Fixed no rockets in view-model rocket launcher when first picked up
- Exploding barrels now give credit for kills to the player who damaged the
barrel in multiplayer
- Fixed chaingun flickering on/off when spectating another player in Tourney
- Fixed no "You lose" message being played for loser in Last Man Standing.
- Added join messages when players join an MP game.
- Fixed players stuck spectating when no spectators vote is passed.
- Added chat and connection interrupted icons
- Fixed Frag Chamber doors killing player if they're moving towards them just
open (kill trigger was turned off too late in the script).
- Added build for a dedicated server executable (DooM3Ded.exe) on Win32.
- Fixed problems with server list:
- wrong server being joined when sorting
- wrong server being joined when filtering
- server list not being sorted initially by ping.
- Chat text no longer converts high-ASCII chars to periods
- Fixed problem with players logging on and being stuck in spectator mode, yet
not really spectating
- Fixed Incorrect scoring information appears on scoreboard
- Fixed backpack secret exploit on d3dm5 "Lights Out"
- Added chat/lag icons
- Elevators now return to their home position even if someone is standing on
- r_aspectRatio now uses 0, 1, or 2 (4:3, 16:9, 16:10)
- Fixed in-game videos disappearing if you go to the menu and return
- Fixed inconsistent worldview of players exiting teleporter.
- Fixed weapon sounds always playing the first sound in a sound shader instead
of randomly picking one.
- Fixed bullet ricochet sound when punching glass.
- Localized key names in bind menus
- Localized multiplayer text
* warmup text
* spectator text
- "QuickSave" name in save / load menu is now localized
- Fixed key binding issues with European (Italian, French, Spanish) keyboards
* all keys should be bindable now
* this includes modifying scan tables
- Fixed pickup items not being localized. Not fixed in MP, as this would
including the .map files in the update. Any user maps created with update code
should have the correct string id required for localization, however.
- Fixed "General Access" not being localized on PDAs.
- Added pure exclusions for all files that were causing pure server connection
problems between mixed languages.
- Localized "Press any key..." in binding menus.
- Localized messages that client receives from the server when kicked or the
- Localized "Server Full" message.
- Fixed Huffman encoding in decl manager so all characters have a minimum
of one. This allows an optimal bit code length and fixes a memory overrun
and crash when loading Russian decls.
- Map names in Save / Load menu are now localizable.
- Removed hard coded english text from "Player is ready" message in MP.
- Fixed Italian accented i showing up as ^ and vice versa